Monday, May 25, 2009







I am trying to muster up the strength to type this update, but with all the hammering we did today it will be tough :) I feel a bit misled - I was told that we would be working with a ton of studs today, but it turns out they were referring to WOOD!! ha ha. We worked with the local Habitat group which included some of the new home owners. They have stopped telling people who is getting which house because they were working a lot harder on their houses and not so much on the others. It turns out, the Beius Habitat chapter has built over 120 houses. The men were a lot of fun to work with. I had our site leader learning some new phases like "Howdy y'all" which he said with a nice drawl and everything. Other key phrases that he liked were "It's Miller Time" and "He's all hat and no cattle". They have been fun to joke around with as well. We were also on local TV as the local news media came out to film and do interviews. It is great coverage for HFH and should help their cause.

We are working right next to the "Bloc Apartments" which is really something. I have attached pictures that should show the apartments, the build site at the start of the day, middle of the day and where we stopped for the day. I also included a group photo with thelThe good news is that we are ahead of schedule! Therefore, we get to sleep in 30 minutes longer because the next task is installing windows and the delivery won't be there until 9 so we can sleep until 7!! Yea!!!! Tonight we will walk into town - about a 30 minute walk. Emil will give us some of the history and then we will eat there.

The group is a lot of fun, light hearted and hard working. 5 of us took a walk last night and it was beautiful out with all the stars. Well, it's almost time to head for dinner. More to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! What a wonderful adventurous thing to do. I really look forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures! I can just picture you with the locals..... constant entertainment! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete